Thursday, November 7, 2013

out with the old, in with the new.

Just last week UofL opened up the new rec center for it's students. I can honestly say I am surprised by all of the technology and advanced equipment they incorporated in. As far as I can tell, UofL did not cut any corners when equipping this new facility. 



Today Jessica and I finally had the time to do a little more exploring in this 128,000 square foot gym - let me tell you, I was not disappointed. The ellipticals, treadmills, and stationary bikes on the first floor are all equipped with touch screens. I'm still trying to figure the technology out because it is not the most user friendly interface, but if I can manage to find Netflix, I'll be sold. So long, Planet Fitness! 

Next, Jessica and I ventured upstairs to some of the leg, arm, and ab machines. THESE THINGS ARE NO JOKE. Sitting down on the Leg Press machine, I was fully prepared to do my normal resistance level. Not at all... The entire machine moves with you, engaging your core in the exercise as well. It is hard for me to explain just how difficult these machines are compared to ones I have been using. I was taken aback by just how little I could do well. 

After an hour long workout, (time flies when you're having fun??) Jessica and I grabbed a light lunch at Zest Bistro, which is also located in the rec center. I liked that they had calories listed by all of their main entrees. I feel like that makes students more aware of what they are consuming. There weren't a ton of options, but I like that there is a lighter choice for us on campus now. Plus, I had their Mango smoothie after a workout last week and it was exceptional. There is no doubt in my mind that fresh fruit was used to make it.  

Overall, I am excited about this new gym. It is an astronomical improvement from the SAC. I for one will not miss the hot, humid air that reeks of sweaty feet filling my lungs as I jog on a treadmill. I know it's a gym, but come on - I should be able to walk in without wanting to pass out. The equipment is not even comparable. From crickety, old machines to ones with wi-fi enabled touch screens.. That's what I call an upgrade. And, aside from the technology, I feel like the workout I get on the new machines is abundantly better.

I can't wait to do a little more experimenting with some of the new machines. They also offer free classes like Yoga and Weight Training to UofL students. I am excited to give those a try. 


Moral of the story, the new rec center rules. 



No comments:

Post a Comment