Tuesday, October 15, 2013

beware of binge eating.

Since fall break I have been having trouble getting back on track. I made the mistake of adopting the "It's fall break, I can eat whatever I want" mentality last week. Now, I am back in my regular routine, but my diet is not bouncing back quite as fast. 

It is always a lot harder for me to start back up once I "take a break." This goes for exercise as well. Once I am back on the right path, I quickly remember how much better I feel both mentally and physically - but those days leading up to this realization can be rough. I wholeheartedly stand by the idea that you should occasionally splurge on a diet.. it should feel like a lifestyle change, not a punishment. However, these weekend binges have become a bad habit of mine and it's getting increasingly more difficult to bounce back from them. 

My number one tip is to AVOID BINGE EATING. However, it would be hypocritical of me to pretend like that is an easy task. You will occasionally have a lapse of self control - let's be honest.. it's inevitable. Here are a few tips to get back on track.

  • Pick a day to recommit - the earlier the better. I try to aim for the next morning. 
  • Make sure you are not trying to compensate for your splurge by not eating - that will not help. The idea is to make a healthier lifestyle, and while losing weight may be part of that, starving yourself is not going to lead to better health. 
  • Don't make excuses! Everyone is busy - that's no excuse to indulge in a Big Mac then skip the gym. If anything eating healthier and working out will just increase your productivity. 
  • Think positively about your goals. Don't think about how hard it will be, but how amazing you will feel once you get there. 
  • Focus on how far you've come. It's okay to be proud of your accomplishments, even if you have a ways to go to reach your ultimate goal. 
  • Drink plenty of water.Sometimes we confuse thirst for hunger. I like to keep my tervis at my desk. If you have trouble drinking water, you need to work on making it a habit. This was something that was difficult for me. I eventually figured out drinking out of a straw helped me.  

Tomorrow starts my challenge to get back on the right track. Hopefully, with these steps it won't take too long. Thanks for reading!

-Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment