Thursday, October 17, 2013

enjoy the journey.

It seems to be easy to get caught up in the idea of your long term goals. I want to be skinny. I want to be healthy. I want to be fit. I want to be... 
STOP
Take a breath.. It is important to not only look into the future at what you want to be, but enjoy where you are at now. You will never get this time back - don't overlook the present while you're focusing on the future. The process of finding a healthy lifestyle for yourself should be something that you enjoy. If you don't allow yourself to have fun doing it, most likely it won't take long for you to slip back into old habits. 

I am all for using working out as alone time, but some days working out seems like nothing but a chore to add to your seemingly never-ending to-do list. On days like this, look for ways to make exercise fun. After a particularly challenging week, I was ready to toss my daily exercise to the side. If it wasn't for Jessica, one of my very best friends and partner in this healthy lifestyle exploration, I would have spent my evening sitting on the couch behind a textbook. However, we encouraged each other and got to spend time jogging in this beautiful weather instead. That beats being cooped up inside any day. 


Two and a half miles later, we not only had managed to squeeze in a good amount of much needed girl talk, but a nice workout as well. That was a win-win in my eyes. 

Remember not to get bogged down with a routine. Do what you need to do to make this journey enjoyable for you. Mix things up, enlist a friend, or do whatever it is that will make the time you spend working towards your goals good for you. 

-Melody


No comments:

Post a Comment